Wednesday 3 February 2010

My Dublin, James O'Neill

James O’Neill, Bitches with Wolves

Outdoors

I love The Iveagh Gardens on Hatch Street. It’s a gorgeous Victorian park. We play rounders there in the summer, its loadsa fun.


Eating

My favourite restaurant in the city has got to be Millers on Baggot Street; their gourmet pizza are obscenely delicious. I also love Copperinger Row; they’ve a great selection of tapas.


Food

I’ve recently started cooking at home, I’m beginning to get good at it but I’m not quite there yet. I make these cheese masterpieces where I have four different types of cheese. I go to the Harcourt Street food market and the market by the canal by Baggot Street, where I stock up on all my cheeses. I also love Fallon & Byrne; they have an amazing cheese deli.


Bars

I obviously go to WAR every Friday in Spy because that’s my night. I love Seomra Spraoi, which is a kind of speakeasy off Mountjoy Square that’s really cool. I also really like The Bernard Shaw, The Button Factory and Twisted Pepper.


Shopping

It was Circus but Circus is closing so I’m in a rage about that. I like shopping in Lucy’s Lounge in Temple Bar because it’s one of the only good vintage stores in the city. I also go to Indigo & Cloth on South William Street, BT, American Apparel and Topshop and Brown Thomas are always deadly.


Ups

The best thing about Dublin is that it has a great community element to it. No matter where you go you seem to know some body. I think there’s a lot of creativity going on in the city right now, which is amazing.


Downs

The shopping isn’t that great, it can be very expensive and the selection isn’t that good. There are not many interesting boutiques, it’s all quite generic. Also, people who wear fake tan and pile their hair up on top of their heads like a bird nest with black panda eyes.


Area

I love Portobello, all the Victorian terraces are really beautiful, as well as the Powerscourt Townhouse. I think what they’ve done with the docklands on the Southside it’s really great. The Grand Canal Theatre is the most amazing building.


Sports

I don’t do sports, are you on drugs? I watch the odd rugby match in the pub, but it’s more of a social thing.


Heroes

Andrea Horan is my Dublin hero, she is a gay icon. She does loads of shows around Dublin and when I was really young, she took me under her wing. She’d be one of my heroes. I know Senator David Norris isn’t from Dublin, but he’s an honorary Dublin man and he is an incredible person. I like Ivanna Bacik too, she’s sexy.


Villains

The drinking laws are absolute villains, they are scourge to the city. Also taxi drivers who don’t know where they going, they drive me nuts.


Hobbies

I don’t really have any hobbies. I kind of just work and dance. Just rounders in the summer, I don’t think anyone has the time for hobbies these days.


Press

I am an avid of The Sunday Times and I love reading The Sunday Independent for its hilarity. The Life section is gas, especially the Day in the Life. I read Una Mullally’s column in the Tribune, that’s always brilliant. Magazine-wise I read Social and Personal, Image and The Dubliner, obviously.


Music

I really like Simian Mobile Disco and I’m an unashamed Britney Spears fan. She’s been brilliant especially since she had the break down. On my iPod at the moment are Goldfrapp, Roisin Murphy and Chromeo, Madonna and Marina and the Diamonds.


TV/Radio

Spin 1038 play the really trashy pop that I love. It’s my guilty pleasure. I also like the Alison Curtis show. On TV, I’m obsessed with Glee and True Blood. Summer Heights High is the best show ever - Mr G is like ecstasy. I also Coronation Street, I was devasted when Blanch died.


http://www.myspace.com/bitcheswithwolves

No comments: